Chicago, IL 60606 US
- The Kafka Administration (Software Engineering) role will provide subject matter expertise for implementation and ongoing support of Kafka Administration in production and non-production environments. Work under general supervision; typically reports to a project leader or manager.
- Provide senior level technical expertise to Middleware staff. Manage day to day activities when called upon. Provide subject matter expertise for implementation and ongoing support of Kafka Administration in production and non-production environments.
- Work under general supervision; typically reports to a project leader or manager. Provide senior level technical expertise to Middleware staff. Manage day to day activities when called upon.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure and maintain Kafka software and supporting tools classified as middleware on multiple operating system platforms
- Also install, configure and maintain 3rd party software components classified as middleware on multiple operating system platforms.
- Use subject matter expertise with products to advise on design and assist with development of applications using these tools.
- Configure production, development and testing environments and ensure the availability of these application services
- Write complex automation scripts using common automation tools, such as Jenkins and Ansible
- Provide performance tuning of components and services
- Design disaster recovery solutions for middleware technologies to comply with business continuity objectives
- Resolve configuration related problems
- Resolve complex support issues in both production and non-production environments.
- Assist production support and development staff in debugging middleware application defects.
- Create procedural and troubleshooting documentation related to middleware products
- Participate in or lead moderately or high complex projects.
- Properly secure middleware technologies
- Advise on industry best practices as it relates to new product selection.
- Manage day to day activities of the middleware staff when called upon to do so.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multi-task and work with management to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrate strong confidence in abilities and knowledge.
- Ability to work well in crisis situations.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Flexibility to be on call from 5 PM to 7 AM for 3 months per year.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
Expert understanding of:
- Kafka and supporting monitoring/administrative tools
- Systems administration and change management practices
- J2EE application services
- Message-oriented middleware
- Internet / Web based technologies
- ITLT Best Practices
- Scripting and coding
- Network technologies
- CI/CD tools
- Cloud native applications
- Technologies used to support microservices
- File transfer protocols including SFTP
- Encryption technologies (SSL/TLS, PKI Infrastructure management)
- Security controls as applied to software technologies.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a related area
- 7-10 years of related experience with
- Minimum 7 years experience working in a distributed multi-platform environment.
- Minimum 3 supporting middleware technologies
- [Preferred] Cloud certification